Report: University of South Wales Women’s 1st 6 – 3 Plymouth Marjon 1st

USW Women's 1st v Plymouth Marjon 1st. Image by Jack Cook.

by Adam Evans

UNIVERSITY of South Wales 1st have bolstered their title chances after coming out on top in an eventful 6-3 win over Plymouth Marjon 1st.

USW stormed into an early two goal lead at the Sport Park, but Dionne Lgalawuye responded for Marjon.

Josie Day added USW’s third, but the south coast based side fought back to level the scores, but Lyons scored from her free kick at the end of the first half.

Kath Morgan’s side turned on the style in the second half to pull away from Marjon.

Lauren Lyons had a golden chance in the second minute to take the lead for USW, however, the Marjon keeper Jordan Tubb was quick to get out and close the angle down.

Rhianne Oakley applied high pressure on Marjon defender Olivia Ramsey to dispossess her; as a result, she remained calm to slot it past the keeper.

Chelsea Herbert was forced to scramble after Dionne Lgalawuye tried her luck from long range, but her effort was fired just off target.

As a result of more high pressure from Josie Day she was able to regain possession for her side and fed in Monet Legall who poked it home past the outrushing keeper.

Soon after, Marjon hit back after Lgalawuye caught Lucia Capanini napping and found Shania Fenlon who coolly placed it into the bottom corner.

USW responded rapidly as Oakley sprinted down the left flank and squared it to Day who turned it home.

A lack of communication between the USW backline allowed Marjon back into the game, and Fenlon to bag herself a brace as she slotted her shot from a tight angle into the top right corner.

Lgalawuye equalised in emphatic style for the visitors after she volleyed Herbert’s wayward goal kick back from 40 yards out.

Just before the half time whistle, Lyons bent her long distance free kick into the top left corner to beat Tubbs in the Marjon net.

USW captain Capanini led by example, as she came to her side’s rescue to deny Lgalawuye with a perfectly timed last ditch challenge in the penalty box.

There was a long stoppage in play as Lgalawuye was stretchered off after a fair but strong challenge.

Oakley bagged herself a brace after she found herself with a yard of space following on from a scramble in the box. This followed on from Montana May’s delivery from the corner causing havoc for the Marjon defence.

Moments later, Lyons increased the deficit after she reacted quickly to guide the ball into the back of the net whilst under pressure from Tubb.

The game was abandoned after 81 minutes played as a result of another serious injury for Marjon.

Due to the game being stopped after the 70thminute the result is likely to stand.

USW remain in the driving seat at the top of the Western Tier 1 after today’s win.

USW: Chelsea Herbert, Sian Cousins, Danielle Dageenakis, Lucia Capanini (C), Montana May, Gina, Mel Wilkinson (Ffion Llewellyn 45’), Lauren Lyons, Josie Day, Monet Legall, Rhianne Oakley

Subs: Georgina Cooper

Plymouth Marjon: Jordan Tubb, Chloe Berry, Charlie Pettinger, Dionne Lgalawuye (Leoneta Recica 62’), Olivia Ramsey, Taylor-Jade McKinley, Hannah Prisk (C), Lucy Atkinson, Kira Sirrell, Shania Fenlon

Subs: Leoneta Recica, Weronika Dudek