Report: Barry Town United 5-2 Llanelli Town

Chris Hugh celebrates as Barry Town United put 5 past Llanelli Town. Image by Rhys Skinner

Date: Friday, 19 October, 2018

Venue: Jenner Park, Barry

by Callum Ellis

A SEVEN-GOAL thriller saw Barry Town United pick up their sixth consecutive home victory of the season in the JD Welsh Premier League.

The Linnets are now up to third in the table, joint level on points with The New Saints who face Connah’s Quay Nomads in a top-of-the-table clash tomorrow.

The first chance fell in favour of the hosts as Jonathan Hood’s curling effort forced Llanelli goalkeeper Oliver Davies into making the first save of the evening.

It took just four minutes for Gavin Chesterfield’s men to open the scoring as Robbie Patten diverted Chris Hugh’s corner into the net.

Despite the early setback, Llanelli did not stand still and hit back within a minute of the restart. Captain Joe Clark pounced on a loose ball in the area and bulleted a header beyond Mike Lewis to draw the visitors level.

Two chances in quick succession saw James Loveridge and Jordan Follows try their luck from range for the Reds, but both efforts sailed over Lewis’ crossbar.

Lenny Evans forced another save from Lewis five minutes before the interval as he got down low to tip the ball past the post and keep the scores level.

Celebrations as Barry win again. Image by Rhys Skinner.

Both teams looked as though they would be heading into the break level, but it was the hosts who restored their lead with two minutes remaining on the clock.

Llanelli goalkeeper Davies denied Cotterill from point-blank range with a superb save, before Hood steered home the rebound with a curling effort.

After the restart, the visitors made their first chance count to draw themselves level once again. Evans dispossessed defender Luke Cooper, before firing an effort at goal.

Barry goalkeeper Lewis did well to deny his initial effort, but Evans made no mistake with his second as he fired home the rebound.

The momentum began to swing in favour of the hosts after goalscorer Clark was shown a red card just before the hour-mark. A rash challenge on Troy Greening from the Reds’ captain saw him given his marching orders by the referee.

Kayne McLaggon replaced Hood with 18 minutes remaining, and he nearly had an immediate impact with his first touch. Southam-Hales’ cross found the head of McLaggon, who saw his effort rebound off the post.

It was a case of de ja vu two minutes later as Southam-Hales again provided a perfect delivery and found the head of McLaggon. The substitute connected with the cross well but saw his effort sail inches wide of the post.

The hosts finally took advantage of the extra man and regained the lead with 11 minutes remaining. Defender Hugh’s effort, which appeared to be a cross, evaded goalkeeper Davies at his near post to put Barry ahead for the third time.

Llanelli were reduced to nine men when Chris Thomas brought down McLaggon, denying him a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Barry made sure the victory was theirs with a minute remaining as substitute Green fired beyond Davies to put the Linnets two goals to the good for the first time of the evening.

But the drama did not end there as McLaggon had the final say by adding another for the hosts. He was allowed to turn on the edge of the area, before finding the bottom corner to round off an eventful night at Jenner Park.

Star player: Chris Hugh.

Goals: (Barry) Robbie Patten 4’, Jonathan Hood 43’, Chris Hugh 79’, Clayton Green 88’, Kayne McLaggon 90+2’

(Llanelli) Joe Clarke 6’, Lenny Evans 50’

Reaction from the managers:

All images by Rhys Skinner