University of South Wales 5ths 2-2 Cardiff Medics

USW 5ths remain at the bottom of the league following a 2-2 draw with Cardiff Medics

By Jared Parry

The USW mens football 5ths, who are rooted to the bottom of the league, shared the points with Cardiff Medics in a dramatic 2-2 draw.

USW have not won a game all season and were looking for a result against the 3rd place Medics to revive their season.

In the early stages of the first half, the different styles were evident with USW attempting long balls over top, while the Medics were passing it around working out a breakthrough.

The Medics found the break through early Joseph Nash played a piercing ball through to Ellis Medha then slotted home the opening goal.

The Medics kept up the pressure, which paid off when Gethin Hicks’ searching ball into the box found Nash whose well-composed shot put the away side two goals up.

Shortly after USW’s Wale Ayandiran pulled one back. Ayandiran used his pace to latch onto Joe Eggington’s long ball from his own box.

With half time fast approaching USW’s direct style was beginning to expose the Medics defence. This saw Medics keeper Huw Jones make a rash challenge in his own area to concede a penalty.

Jones looked to have redeemed himself when he got down low to make a fantasic save from Kai Harris’ penalty, however the ball landed back at the USW player’s feet and he slotted the ball home.

USW pushed hard early on in the second half when Ayandiran broke free on the halfway line but Jones was level to his shot between the sticks. A chance occurred at the opposite end when the Medics strung 18 passes together from their own box into USW’s but failed to find the end product.

As the game progressed tempers began to flare. USW’s Kyran Jones was brought down by Medics player Frank Davies on the edge of the box, but Joseph Nash fired the free kick straight into Yuki Shirozu’s gloves.

In the dying embers of the game, USW broke away on a counter attack through Ayandiran. Ayandiran had Harris running in support but decided to go it alone and was chopped down by the Medics Jack Peplow, resulting in a red card.

The last kick of the game was Harris rifling the free kick over the bar.