USW men’s football 1st 2-1 Swansea University 1st

USW 1sts edged past their Swansea opponents

By Marcus Williams & Jared Parry

USW Men’s 1sts and their opponents from Swansea both came into the match yet to win this season, after three games.

The scrappy match at USW Sport Park saw the home side edge to a 2-1 win.           

Swansea’s Cameron Langan had the USW keeper Harri Irving on his toes.

A USW attack saw Adam Kaplan’s shot palmed away by the keeper straight to the feet of Tristan Jenkins, resulting in a tremendous double save from Swansea keeper Ben Edwards.

Swansea responded with Charlie Corton releasing Cameron Langan with a piercing through ball, but Langan couldn’t find a way past Irving.

As half time approached, Swansea broke the deadlock with a George Sellick shot from range making it 0-1 in Swansea’ favour.

After the disappointing end to the first half USW came out looking to make a comeback.

A harsh tackle from keeper Edwards on USW striker Sam Snaith (USW) resulted in a free-kick from just outside the box.

The resulting shot from Kaplan was too weak and Edwards gathered it with ease.

Swansea conceded yet another free-kick but this time there were shouts from the Swans’ bench that it should’ve gone the other way. 

There was more sloppy play from both sides as the game went on, with the Swansea players getting noticeably aggravated. Langan, who’d had good game so far, was booked for kicking the ball away.

USW came back with some stunning attacking play. A delightful through ball from Taylor Marsh saw a Jenkins strike hit the crossbar. 

Swansea’s Tom Cress handled the ball in the area and Snaith stepped up to take the penalty, placing it perfectly in the bottom left.

The final 10 minutes saw the most controversy in the match. 

There was plenty of action and a lot of words, especially from Swansea’s George Sellick to the crowd attending and the linesman. Unluckily for Sellick, an attempted dive on his part didn’t go down well with the referee who refused to blow his whistle for a foul. USW regained possession and a stunning ball from Kaplan let Snaith grab his second.

After the goal was scored, Sellick had some choice words for the referee about the call and the referee replies with a well deserved yellow card.