Report: Cardiff City Under-23s 3-0 Queens Park Rangers Under-23s

Cardiff City Under 23 v Queens Park Rangers Under 23. Image Callum Ellis

by Jordan A Jones

UNIVERSITY of South Wales student Danny Williams netted in Cardiff City’s win over Queens Park Rangers at Leckwith Stadium this afternoon.

The 18-year-old who joined Jarred Harvey’s side in January from Welsh League side Haverfordwest County was making his third start and his second-half goal fired Cardiff City to only their second win in six games, moving them up to seventh.

He started alongside Stuart O’Keefe who had spent the first six months of the season on loan at English Football League side Plymouth Argyle.

Dan Griffiths, Dan Williams and Sion Spence were all on target in the second-half for Cardiff City, with not much threat from Queens Park Rangers over the course of the game.

Williams linked up well alongside partner Sion Spence and was deserving of his goal. Cardiff remained patient, before breaking down the Hoops defence with a flurry of goals.

The hosts were forced into an early change as Lloyd Humphries was unable to run off an injury. He was replaced by Trystan Jones.

O’Keefe was showing his experience in the centre, spraying a number of balls to Laurence Wootton on the far side as the Blues tried to use the width to exploit the Rangers defence.

Full-backs Laurence Wootton and Ryan Pryce linked up, as Pryce fired an effort wide on the half-volley.

Cardiff’s high-press almost paid off with a goal. QPR captain Joel Felix played the ball into danger. Dan Griffiths obtained possession and squared to Spence, forcing Myles Bowman into a save.

Cardiff City took through Sion Spence who fired a shot goal-wards at Bowman, with the Rangers keeper allowing it to go over his head.

Moments later, Williams provided the Bluebirds with a two-goal cushion. Stuart O’Keefe swung in a free-kick into the box, Trystan Jones headed the ball straight into the path of Williams who snuck his effort home.

Chay Tilt tried to claw a goal back from a direct free-kick but his effort sailed straight into the arms of Warren Burwood. He had a second free-kick saved by Burwood from a similar area.

Williams almost doubled his tally but a deflection took it over the bar.

Cardiff saw out the game having been unchallenged in the remaining twenty minutes.

They take on Sheffield United in their next league fixture at the Cardiff City Stadium next Monday.

Cardiff City: Burwood, Pryce (Davies 72) Wootton, Humphries (Jones 11) Margetson, Bagan, Spence (Bowen 67), O’Keefe, Griffiths, Bolger, Williams.

Queens Park Rangers: Bowman, Felix, Genovisi (Woolard-Innocent 70), Bettache, Carlyle, Wells, Tilt, Mesias, Walker, Bansal-McNulty, Kennedy (Platt 70)

Incident summary:

Goals – Spence (51’) Williams (53’) Griffiths (83’)

  • Yellow cards – Tilt (33’) Griffiths (38’) Wootton (60’)