Report: USW Men’s 3rd battle to take the win over UWTSD Carmarthen 1st

USW Mens 3rds 3-1 UWTSD Carmarthen 1sts

USW Mens 3rd Football Team - Credit Matt Slater
USW Mens 3rd Football Team. Image Matt Slater

by Ethan Harris & Halen McCarthy

POSSESSION-BASED football was the catalyst for an inspired USW 3rd side performance this Wednesday, with goals from Mikey Wicherek, Ryan Chandrinos and Louis Djiaz providing all three points.

The game started cagey as both teams were looking to make their mark on the game.

USW had the first chance of the game 13 minutes in, after some good play through the middle, the ball ended up at the feet of Ryan Chandrinos whose effort was easily saved by the keeper.

UWTSD Carmarthen 1st found their first chance of the game with Tom Chapman firing just wide of the post.

USW continued the pressure as Mikey Wicherek beat Luke Stevens in the box and tested the keeper who parried the shot to the oncoming Reaon Mignott whose shot was well saved by the keeper.

The deadlock was broken in the 23rd minute by USW after a cross from Mael Evans found the head of Mikey Wicherek. His initial effort was saved, but on the rebound he put the ball in the back of the net for 1-0.

USW remained the dominant side after the goal as Ryan Chandrinos found his weak effort cleared off the line.

USW found the net again in the 35th minute, a deep cross from Alex Bevan gave the defence some problems as they struggled to clear, which gave Ryan Chandrinos the simple task of smashing the ball home.

The first half ended with USW in control, playing good football at times and keeping the strikers of UWTSD Carmarthen 1st quiet.

The home side were slow to start after a dominant spell in the first period, struggling to deal with the high press the visitors deployed. Just before the hour mark, they dragged themselves back into the game.

With a long ball forward, Rhydian Jones was able to pick up the scraps. Spotting the keeper off his line, the forward slipped a delightful chip into the back of the net to reduce the deficit.

It would take the home side time to respond, but almost had their two-goal advantage restored ten minutes later.

Finding their feet again, a quick one-two between Mikey Wicherek and Elliot Rees offered a shot on target, but Rees could only find the keeper as his low drilled effort was parried away to safety.

The home side would keep coming.

A well-won tackle in the middle of the park from Jake Mahoney allowed for a quick counter, with the midfield man spreading the ball wide to Mikey Wicherek.

The forward composed himself, placing the ball right into the path of Elliot Rees, but he could not connect with the ball, slicing an effort over the bar.

With only 15 minutes to go, USW restored their two-goal advantage.

A ball swung in from Mael Evans connected with a leaping Louis Djiaz, whose powerful downwards header connected with the crossbar before rippling over the line.

USW saw the game out from there, delivering a strong performance with lots of positives to be taken away heading into their next match-up.