Report: Cardiff Metropolitan University 1 – 1 Carmarthen Town

Image by Jordan Jones

Date: Sunday, 28 October, 2018

Venue: Cyncoed Campus, Cardiff

by Callum Ellis

CARDIFF Metropolitan University were held to a 1-1 draw by a resilient Carmarthen Town in the JD Welsh Premier League.

Liam Thomas’ first-half penalty gave the visitors the lead before Met midfielder Eliot Evans hit back with 17 minutes remaining.

The result sees Carmarthen draw level on points with Llandudno at the foot of the table. While Met moved up to 6th and ahead of Aberystwyth Town on goal difference.

Defender Dylan Rees provided the hosts with the first chance of the afternoon. His cross into the area found the head of an unchallenged Will Evans, who connected well but failed to guide his effort on target.

Despite Met’s early pressure, it was Carmarthen who took an unlikely lead after 18 minutes. Met captain Kyle McCarthy’s late challenge on Mael Davies inside the area provided the visitors with a golden opportunity to take the lead.

Thomas took the resulting spot-kick and found the back of the net with a composed finish from 12 yards, sending goalkeeper Alex Lang the wrong way.

Christian Edwards’ side looked for an instant response to the setback as striker Sam Snaith attempted an acrobatic effort which was easily dealt with by Carmarthen goalkeeper Lee Idzi.

McCarthy tested Izdi again minutes later as his free-kick from range was equalled to by the shot-stopper, who enjoyed a positive opening 45 minutes.

After the restart, Snaith was replaced by Harry Owen for Met as they looked to grab an equaliser.

Jordan Vickers’ challenge on Joel Edwards paved open another chance for the hosts just after the hour-mark. Eliot Evans took the resulting set-piece with the ball eventually falling to the feet of McCarthy, who fired over the crossbar from the edge of the area.

Met finally got the goal they deserved with 17 minutes remaining. The substitute Owen brought the ball down well inside the Carmarthen penalty area and guided it into the path of Eliot Evans.

Evans found space on the edge of the area before dispatching a powerful strike beyond Idzi to draw the hosts level.

It was an equaliser that Met warranted for their waves of attack, and they could have even nicked all three points in the dying minutes. The goalscorer Evans was again at the centre of the play as he unleashed another shot at goal, but saw his effort sail just over the crossbar to keep the scores level.

Star player: Eliot Evans


18 minutes – Goal for Carmarthen – Liam Thomas (penalty)

54 minutes – Yellow card for Carmarthen – Declan Caroll

60 minutes – Substitution for Cardiff – Sam Snaith replaced by Harry Owen

71 minutes – Substitution for Carmarthen – Luke Cummings replaced by Craig Hanford

71 minutes – Substitution for Cardiff – Liam Black replaced by Rhys Thomas

73 minutes – Goal for Cardiff – Eliot Evans

87 minutes – Yellow card for Carmarthen – Jordan Knott

88 minutes – Substitution for Carmarthen – Jordan Vickers replaced by Sean Hanbury