Report: Swansea City 2 – 2 Hull City

Oli McBurnie celebrates v Hull. Image courtesy Swansea City.

By Ethan Harris

Date: 27th April 2019.

Venue: Liberty Stadium

Attendance: 18,192

SWANSEA City lost a two-goal lead to quash their play-off hopes heading into the tail-end of the season, with an Oli McBurnie brace not enough to grab all three points at the Liberty stadium.

Jarrod Bowen and Nouha Dicko rescued a point for the Tigers, as they recovered well in the second period to share the spoils away from home.

With Swansea looking to keep their faint play-off hopes alive, they hoped to start the game firmly on the front foot.

Despite their dominance in possession, the opening moments saw chances few and far between.

Swansea pushed and pressed their opponents deep into their half, and a half-cleared corner stumbled into the path of Connor Roberts.

The defender composed himself in the little space he had on the edge of the area, curling the ball towards the top-left.

Hull stopper George Long scuttled back to his line in time to clear the ball for another set-piece opportunity, but the Swans could not capitalise on their chances.

With ten minutes to go in the first period, the Swans edged themselves ahead thanks to a McBurnie tap-in.

Neat play from the right-hand side between Roberts and Nathan Dyer made its way to Wayne Routledge inside the area.

The veteran winger turned sharply, slipping the ball into the path of the Scotland international McBurnie, who calmly put the home side into the lead.

The Swans hoped the second period presented the same as the first, however a lapse in concentration from Roberts looked to endanger the lead the home side had built.

A wayward pass sent Hull quickly counter-attacking towards the Swans’ net, as Jarrad Bowen barrelled down on goal.

Laying a pass into Kamil Grosicki’s path, the winger lined up to curl the ball into the top-right but slipped it high and wide.

The Swans took their time to settle into the second period and with under half an hour remaining, McBurnie grabbed his second to give the home side a cushion.

Dan James blew past his man with ease, chipping a delightful ball into the path of McBurnie, who smashed a headed effort under the bar to double the advantage.

A brief spell of pressure from the visitors gave them a lifeline, when dangerman Jarrod Bowen slipped through to halve the deficit.

Jordy de Wijs headed an attempted clearance back into the area, and Bowen’s outstretched leg was enough to poke the ball past Kristoffer Nordfeldt to bring Hull back into the game.

However, a quick counter-attack gave James space in the middle of the park. Dictating the play, the winger clipped a ball over the top into the path of Routledge, who could not find a way past Long in-between the Hull goal.

Substitute Nouha Dicko made his presence felt after his introduction and grabbed the equaliser for the visitors as the game reached the final stretch.

Jon Toral found himself with enough time to squeeze the ball into the path of the forward, who could not miss from within the six-yard area to push the Tigers level.

Despite pushing for a late winner, neither side could break the deadlock as the Swans’ play-off hopes were firmly put to rest.


Swansea City XI: Kristoffer Nordfeldt, Mike Van Der Hoorn, Oli McBurnie, Nathan Dyer (Jay Fulton, 65’), Wayne Routledge, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Daniel James, Matt Grimes, Connor Roberts, Kyle Naughton (Kyle Naughton, 85’), George Byers (Bersant Celina, 85’).

Swansea Subs: Steven Benda, Bersant Celina, Barrie McKay, Joe Rodon, Declan John, Jay Fulton, Courtney Baker-Richardson.

Hull City XI: George Long, Eric Lichaj, Jordy De Wijs, Kevin Stewart (Jon Toral, 72’), Kamil Grosicki (Nouha Dicko, 60’) Jackson Irvine, Daniel Batty, Jarrod Bowen, Markus Henriksen, Stephen Kingsley, Robbie McKenzie.

Hull Subs: David Marshall, Nouha Dicko, Jon Toral, Brandon Fleming, Frazier Campbell, Chris Martin, Liam Ridgewell.