Report: University of South Wales 2nd 4 – 2 Bournemouth 3rd

Bobby Briers USW Men's 2nd Image by Dan Cope

Date: Wednesday 24 October 2018 (14:00)

Venue: USW Sport Park

by Adam Evans & James Dodd

A DOMINANT first-half meant USW 2nd overcame an average Bournemouth 3rd side, despite a second-half fightback by the visitors.

USW’s first attack in the second minute of the match was finished with a precise shot from Corey McKeary into the bottom right corner from the edge of the penalty area to make it 1-0.

Soon after, USW came close to adding a second in the 11th minute. A counter from USW ended in an audacious chip over the keeper from Corey McKeary, that clipped the top of the crossbar.

On the 18th minute mark Bournemouth came up with their first chance of the match. Ademola Prince’s effort was saved by the strong right leg of the USW keeper, Liam James.

With 22 minutes gone, USW were awarded a blatant penalty. USW’s Ben Rose Miles broke through the Bournemouth defence and was fouled, as he took the ball around the keeper. Rose Miles stepped up to take the penalty and increase his side’s lead to 2-0.

On two occasions Bournemouth’s defenders did very well to keep the gap to just two goals after a couple of goal-line clearances.

They did not matter in the end though, as Declan Church made it 3-0 to USW after superbly curling his effort into the top right corner, convincingly beating the keeper three minutes before half-time.

USW Men’s 2nd
Image by Dan Cope

The second half started evenly with both teams only having occasional opportunities at goal. An early penalty appeal for the away side was not given by the referee when Bournemouth’s Zale Jakubowski went down in the box.

In the 56th minute, Ben Rose Miles just pushed his shot to the right. This was quickly followed by a fantastic effort by Harry Collins, whose shot hit the bottom left post.

Despite the good start in the early stages of the second half it was Bournemouth who managed to grab one back, with Joseph Flarry tapping in from a corner.

USW resumed their pressure when Ben Rose Miles met a corner only to see his shot saved by visiting keeper Vincent Pene.

This was followed by an effort by Josh Maximovic who put the ball well over the away goal.

The scrappy second half continued but in the 87th minute Bournemouth managed to get within touching distance as Jamie McGrath scored a tap-in from a threatening cross.

However, in the dying moments of the game, Bournemouth sloppily gave the ball to Abdi Noor, who had acres of space. He calmly finished with the ball going through the keeper’s legs and confirming the result in USW’s favour.


2nd minute – Goal for USW – Corey McKeary

22nd minute – Goal for USW – Ben Rose Miles

36th minute – Goal for USW – Declan Church

48th minute – Goal for Bournemouth – Zale Jakubowski

87th minute – Goal for Bournemouth – Jamie McGrath

90th minute – Goal for USW – Abdi Noor

Star Player – Corey McKeary