Report: University of South Wales 54 -16 University of Exeter

USW open their BUCS Western 1A account with convincing win

USW rugby league side in pre-match huddle. Image by Matthew Slater

by Tom Young

AN impressive opening day victory against the University of Exeter saw the University of South Wales start their season in style.

The away side had the better of the early exchanges. They thought they had taken the lead in the third minute, however the referee deemed it to be held up.

Despite an early onslaught of pressure, it was the home side who were first on the scoresheet. Prop forward Johnson Chandekere burst through a couple of would-be tackles and crashed over just left of the upright. Josh Sharpe with the successful conversion.

Five minutes later USW grabbed their second of the game. Some great work in the halves saw Cai Fritter unleash Ieuan Griffiths who scored underneath the sticks.

USW added a third shortly after. Dylan Evans picked up the ball from dummy half some 10 metres out and found a gap in the Exeter defence to touch down. No mistakes with the kick as USW led 18-0.

Shortly before half-time USW grabbed their fourth of the game, as Rob Davies took the first carry from a penalty 10 metres out. He broke through three weak tackles to hand USW a four-score lead at the break.

Half time BUCS Western 1A USW 24-0 Exeter

USW extended their lead shortly after the restart. Some quick hands from the home side saw the ball spread from left to right, ending in the hands of Davies, who made no mistake in touching down for his second and USW’s fifth of the game. Sharpe nailed a difficult conversion to hand USW a 30-point advantage.

A quickfire double from the home side put the game out of sight. Jamie Leech’s close-range effort was quickly followed by Davies touching down under the sticks to complete his hat-trick.

Exeter grabbed their first score of the game on the hour mark. Centre Peter Bilham with a 50-metre break from deep in his own half, some good work from USW defence saw him stopped short of the line, however a quick play of the ball sent Alex Sing over in the corner. Ollie Brett nailed the touchline conversion to make the score USW 42-6.

Exeter grabbed their second with ten minutes left to play. It was a great team move, Alex Waring broke from deep in his own half, throw the ball out wide to Fernando Correia, who drew in the full back and returned the ball back to Waring who touched down underneath the upright.

A short kick off allowed USW the chance to further extend their lead, which they did through Alex Royles’ close-range effort.

Both sides added to their scores in the dying stages of the contest. Sing grabbed his second of the game for the away side, touching down in the corner, whilst Chandekere also scored his second, powering over from 10 metres out